Friday 22 May 2009

22nd May 2009 - Changing the workshop layout

I'm building in a single garage attached to the house measuring 8ft by 19ft so I'm pretty tight for space. As much of the work as possible has been done on the drive outside weather permitting. Up until now I've had a full length workbench along the left side of the workshop which I've used for jigging the fuselage sides and supporting the structure as it has been constructed. This has mean't repeatedly installing and removing the gear/engine mount and gear legs to get the fuselage into and out of the garage. Next major jobs are the installation firewall forward and the construction of the wings so I've reduced the workbench to a 8ft * 4ft area which should be just about OK to build each wing panel and this lets me keep the fuselage on it's gear which makes it much easier to get in and out. It's a snug fit but just about workable. Once I've done the basic firewall forward install and located the various items that mount to the firewall I'll strip the fuselage for painting and then it can be stored offsite until the wings are finished but I don't want to do this until all the welding is completed and that can't happen until I have put in supporting structure for items such as the battery which will mount on the firewall - too many dependencies! Anyway today was cleaning tidying and reworking the space so no progress on the build.
Posted by Picasa