Friday 1 August 2008

1st August 2008 - ...and reaming

The undercarriage legs for the Tailwind made by Harmon Lang are sized to fit into a 1-3/8" socket (1.375"). 1-1/2" * 0.058" tubing has an inside bore of 1.384" so there is about 1/100th of an inch of slop. 1-1/2" * 0.065" tubing has an inside bore of 1.37" and the legs won't fit. I decided to use the 0.065" wall tubing and ream it out to fit. I managed to find a 1-3/8" hand-reamer second-hand for £5 so all it needed was to pass it through the tubing to get a perfect fit - easier said then done!!!

First issue was how to hold the tubing tight enough without squashing it. I solved this by cutting it overlength and then welding one end to a piece of box section tubing that could be held in the vice. This allowed me to ream down from the top. a large spanner was used to grip the reamer and then it was more oil, turn, back-off, and repeat ad nauseum. At the end of an hour the reamer had disappeared into the tubing, my back was in spasm, and it was time to cut the tubing off the box section and weld it to the other end so I could finish the length from the other end. This time it only took 30 minutes before the cutting started to get easier and I was into the section reamed from the other end. Finally, dripping in sweat I had the first undercarriage mount socket. Only one more to go but that's a job for another day.
Posted by Picasa