Monday 29 September 2014

18th - 28th September 2014 - Painting the fuselage

We have had a spell of calm dry warm weather so this has provided the opportunity to finish paint the fuselage.
First a coat of smoke grey EkoPrime was sprayed onto the fuselage and rubbed down with 320 grade open coat sandpaper. Then over three days the top and fin, the bottom and the two sides were gloss-coated with Insignia White EkoPoly.
As I'm doing all the painting myself and don't have any sort of paint shop available the spraying was done outside. As always a range of small insects embed themselves in the paint before it dries but these can be polished out once the paint is fully hardened without leaving too much damage.
Overall, I'm reasonably pleased with the finish I have been able to achieve. It isn't professional quality but it is more than acceptable and I have the satisfaction of knowing that I have done everything on this build myself.
With the painting complete I can now remove all the masking and start to put the aircraft back together.