Thursday 5 September 2013

5th September 2013 - Wing Construction Finished!!

Yesterday I finished preparing the inner leading edge and glued the outer leading edge strips into place. That was the last time I would be using epoxy thank goodness. Today, the leading edges were sanded to profile. I used a rotary sander/polisher with 120 grade sandpaper to get the edges flush with the wing skins. Then a plane was used to get the basic shape. Finally it was hand sanded to finish. Some fine surface filler was used to get a perfect blend between the front root panel and the rest of the wing. It is no wonder that the Tailwind flies so well the Wittman designed wing is truly a thing of beauty and the plywood skin creates a perfect surface.
Given my problems with epoxy I will be using lightweight ceconite as the covering secured and painted using the Stewart system.
Posted by Picasa