Monday 29 August 2011

29th August 2011 - Left flap and aileron - all welding complete!

I think I have just completed the last welded joint on the airframe. This was the attachment of the small plate round the aileron hinge top surface to provide a flat surface to attach the fabric. This completed the left aileron and flap assembly which was constructed in a similar fashion to the right flap and aileron. This is another of those jobs that I have been putting off. The construction is not particularly difficult but does require a lot of cutting, fitting, melting and pouring lead, brazing and welding. The trailing edge which is folded stainless steel is brazed on and brazing always needs significant clean-up to remove any residual flux - another job I dislike. Now that the metalwork is complete I can take the last few pieces to be sandblasted ready for priming.


Posted by Picasa