Sunday 23 March 2008

Day 9



Decided to final weld the fuselage sides before assembling the fuselage. There are arguments on both sides, the major one anti is that the sides will distort when welding and become unequal, but one previous builder also commented that the sides will bend more evenly into the final fuselage shape if final welded. This makes sense, also I'm TIG welding and expect to get less distortion than those gas welding. So far so good. The side still fits perfectly into the frame with about half of the joints completed. I was right that the acute angles are dificult. Getting the weld pool to join the sides in the centre has taken repeated cycles
of adding material then turning over until the joint is perfect. I still feel very much a "beginner" welder so will be interested in what the experts think of these clusters. I'm getting an expert to come in and give my work a proper QA before proceeding to far.Posted by Picasa