Thursday 19 November 2009

17th November 2009 - Covering the rudder

Since I'm now "fully" trained I though I'd better make a start on covering before I forget everything. The smallest piece to be covered is the rudder so that seemed like the place to start. I'm using the Stewart Systems covering process (http://www.stewartsystems.aero/) which has the advantage that the glue and all of the paints are water bourne which results in much reduced smell and hazard. The process is STC'd for use on most if not all certified fabric covered aircraft. Full details of the covering process including the manual are on the web site and there are also links to very helpful videos showing each stage. So it was a case of following through the steps I'd learned but using the Stewart glue. With such a small piece the result seems to be all rib covering tapes and finishing tapes but I'm reasonably pleased with the result and hopefully my inspector will be happy with the standard.
Posted by Picasa